This recipe is for a very basic coconut oil based toothpaste. What it lacks in fun colours and sugary taste, it makes up for in effectiveness and simplicity. You don't need sulphates, glycerine, fluoride, and other chemicals, you really just need to brush.
Coconut Oil is great as a toothpaste base because its high lauric acid content means it contains antibacterial/antimicrobial properties naturally.
Baking Soda can clean anything, and your teeth are no exception. It helps prevent cavities by neutralizing the acidic bacteria in your mouth, fights plaque, keeps your gums healthy, and even whitens teeth.
Wintergreen Essential Oil is my essential oil of choice for our toothpaste, though others may prefer cinnamon, peppermint, or a citrus option. For purely aromatic reasons I find wintergreen reminds me of a classic toothpaste scent. Beyond that though, wintergreen outweighs other mints for me because it is native to Canada and has been used here for centuries. As well, it is known for is its pain relieving qualities and that can help with sensitive/irritated gums.
*Read below for a warning about essential oils
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp honey (optional, just to sweeten a little)
- 8 drops wintergreen essential oil
- Simply stir all ingredients together, making sure that the essential oil is well diluted in the coconut oil
- Stevia is another popular sweetener option for this recipe
- I use about 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp each time